Sunday, March 26, 2023

Jim Leftwich, I Should Probably Make Some More

I Should Probably Make Some More

Jim Leftwich

______________


They look like they could be (in the present), could have been (in the past), or could potentially be (in the future), the written components of a language -- but I made them myself and I know, that is not what they are.

I was thinking about writing when I made them -- very specifically -- and I was -- with certainty -- not thinking about drawing, and neither was I thinking about something to communicate, with these glyphs being my (failed) attempt at communicating it.

Perhaps I was drawing, even though I was not thinking about drawing. I am willing to leave that, for myself and others, as a possibility to consider.

For what it may be worth: I came to these glyphs as a poet, not as a visual artist. In my relationship with them they are not primarily a part of art history, or of literary history, they are a part of my personal history. As such, they belong to the world of poetry and related matters (but that is only a subjective assessment, from my personal experience and perspective).

I added them to the stock of available reality.

I rescued them from eternal nonexistence.

I let them go, and they are becoming what they will be.

Nonsemic mark-making in the twenty-first century is neither prior to nor post- language. It is perhaps always already in medias res, in the center of the universe (which is everywhere), surrounded by languages in all directions, immersed in the experimentally infinite human moment.

______________
​​

03.26.2023